17-01-2011, 02:42 PM
This visa allows you to migrate to Australia if you have good English language skills and have skills and qualifications in an occupation in need in Australia.
This visa uses a points test to select visa applicants with characteristics needed in the Australian labour market.
You must be sponsored by an eligible relative living in Australia or obtain nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency.
Who is this visa for?
This visa is for you if you:
* are under 45 years of age
* have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
The SOL is a list of skilled occupations that are in need in Australia. Each occupation listed on the SOL is allocated a points value for use in the visa assessment process.
See: Skilled Occupation Lists (formerly known as Form 1121i)
This visa also requires that either:
* you or your partner have an eligible relative living in Australia who is willing and able to sponsor you
* you have a nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency.
Note: All State and Territory governments in Australia are participating in this visa scheme.
How much does this visa cost?
You must pay the relevant visa application charge when you lodge your visa application.
See: Professionals and other Skilled Migrants
What does this visa let me do?
This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.
Australian permanent residents can:
* live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
* study in Australia at school, Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector or university
* receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
* access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
* be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
* sponsor people for permanent residence.